Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Back from the land of understanding- London


I've just got back from my five day tour to London with my class.
London was a breath of fresh air for me. Not only was it like a childhood dream to go it but it was also a small 'light bulb' moment of what life will be like back in Australia.
It was so nice to hear people speaking english again. Even though I use english everyday- I havent yet adopted danish. I had forgotten what it was like to be spoken as a first language. I could sit on train and eavesdrop. I could read signs. I could walk into stores and not have to think of how to ask for help and most importantly I could interact freely with the people around me.
London also reminded me a little of Melbourne- definitely a million times better though.
I also found alot of australian goodies while I was there. I got so excited by cadbury chocolate, starburst, vitamin water, salt and vinegar chips, baked beans, fish n chips, pies and rectangular pillows- my friends had to tell me to calm down!!
(needless to say I was feasting that week)
I got to see all the touristy things like Tower Bridge, Big Ben, Buckingham Plce and all the various names that you see on a monopoly board.
We went on a Jack the Ripper tour at night. We went to all the locations of his murders... it was quite spooky and gruesome... but an intersting story!
I had a great time with my class. It had been quite a while since I'd last hung out with them and it was so nice. The girls are so sweet and they really try with me. They spoke danish with me most of the time and I was able to understand!
During the hours of free time we got I managed to catch a train out to meet my grandfathers sister Jane.
Words cannot describe how great that was. I never planned to see her while I was there.. it just happened when mum gave me the number. It was such an unexpected lovely surprise to my trip.
We had some lovely chats together and it was so great to see the place that my Grandfather and parents love so much. We only spent a few hour together as I had to get back but I'm just so happy that I got to meet her.
It rained the whole time we were in London, I was a little dissapointed but as mum said to me- it wouldnt be England with out rain!
London is a beautiful place, it never stops.. go go go... and even though I was only a tourist for 5 days I felt just at home there.
I'd just like to wish my gorgeous Dad a Happy Birthday... I miss our late night chats and your big hugs. I'll be seeing you soon... I believe its under a hundred days now. xoxoxo
(p.s I'm sorry if there wasnt much content in this blog. I'm finding it hard to write these days. I can describe things very well. everything is either lovely or amazing...but I did have a lovely- there I go again, time in London and I wish I could find the words to describe how it really was)

2 comments:

  1. Oh Charlie, I think you describe things beautifully...London sounds fabulous and how wonderful to catch up with family as well...and some yummy food...and rectangular pillows... now that's something I never would have thought about...do they have the large square ones in Denmark...under one hundred days to go...enjoy every moment..

    Jenny x

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh thankyou! yep they are square and feathery! wake up with a sore neck every time!!
    i really am enjoying it all :)

    ReplyDelete