Friday, March 19, 2010

ROMA

So I've just got back from my class trip to rome. yep thats right, rome!! We left bright and early Saturday morning and arrived back in Copenhgen late last night. So much happened this week and it all went so fast, I still cant comprehend that I actually went to Rome. That I actually saw the things you see on Getaway or in magazines. I chucked a coin in the Trevi Fountain, I sat on the Spanish Steps, I walked thru the Colloseum and I waited in line at the Vatican. As much as we saw all the tourist destinations we also saw the little inns and outs. We visited various Churches, Piazza's and wandered through quaint little streets. I like that we traveled everywhere by foot. I mean I was in some serious pain after the first 2 days, but it was the best way to see it all.
I had fun with my class, they're all so nice. I feel like I got to know them a bit better after this week :)

I really don't know what to say about rome, I've been summing it all up in postcards so I'm just starting to think. There was so much to take in. As much as I loved visiting all the 'big' tourists spots my favourite parts was walking through the streets and the piazzas. I liked walking through the small streets and poking in and out of the shops. I would of loved to have shared this with Mum, I know she would love it. I also went to an Edward Hopper exhibition. It was at the end of the day and I wasnt sure whether I could take any more walking but I went and I really enjoyed it. I'm not much of an exhibition person, I just like to wander through have a look and leave but this one I was quite intrigued by. Alot of his paintings have a 'wonder' about them. The objects/subjects always seem to have an expression like their looking into the distance, they make you create various scenarios of what actually could be going on in the photo. 'what is she thinking' 'whats is she looking at' 'what is through those doors etc. I guess what I'm trying to say is that he leaves his painting open to your imagination/interpretation. Can be anything you want it to be.
Wow, I'm really struggling to talk about rome, not sure why.
Well finally I made Mum happy and got my hair cut, way cheaper in rome than denmark.
I also ate alot of pizza and pasta which I guess is a given while in Italy.
I was also a little bit dissapointed with some of the people in rome. The way they treated tourists. Everywhere we went there was someone trying to sell you something or trying to rip you off. I think its just sad people have to be indecent human beings just so they can score an extra euro or sell some sunglasses. I cant even describe it right now, but I just thought it was so sad.
I found rome so busy and crowded and I would of loved for there to be less tourists but I guess thats just how it is. I loved that traffic would stop for you... in Aus they look out but only really stop if its a zebra crossing and in DK if you dont move they run you over... but in Rome, they just give way to you!

I think my fav place was the Trevi Fountain. I didnt get alot of time there and it was swarmed with tourists but I just thought it was magical. Another place I loved was the Colloseum. I wished my sister was there to see it with me. I also found the churches quite mesmorising. I mean, I'm not religious or anything, far from it actually, but we sat in on a service on sunday morning and it was quite beautiful. We were in this massive ass church covered with paintings all over the roof and massive stone pillars towering around you, it was silent and I was just looking around at all the people and I dont know why, but I found quite beautiful.

I saw alot of things in rome and as much as all the walking was so draining I think it was the best way to see rome. I also thought that the schedule and the things the teachers had planned for us was good as well. I know that if I didnt go with the class I wouldnt have seen all the inns and outs that we did.

I couldnt believe how busy rome was still at night... like talking early hours of the morning, it wasnt busy because of people going to clubs and bars but it was like people doing their groceries or something. It was crazy!!
I didnt stay out late at all really while I was there, I just wanted to be 'fresh' (as the danes would say) for the morning. When I'm tired and havent had much sleep everything goes out the window. I dont care where I am, what I'm doing or whats going on. All I want is to go back to sleep and thats that. And I just really knew that I didnt want to be tired for rome because I may never come back. As sad as it sounds, and I try not to let that happen. But you just dont know. From DK to Italy is like 3 hrs, its so easy to travel in europe if you live in europe. But in Aus, not so quite.

Ok so, thats about it for now... I'll probably add more later. sorry for the dodgy update... but I think I'm starting to forget how to form words. great.

1 comment:

  1. Lucy reckons if you throw a coin in the fountain you are guarenteed to go back!

    What a great Rotary club to sponsor this!

    your hair looks great and could we have some pics please of magical Roma!!mumsyxxx

    ReplyDelete