Tuesday, January 18, 2011

this is it.

So this will be my last post. I think its time I put a little part of Denmark to rest. Its been four days since I have been home. And even though its only been four days-so I still have every right to be sad, I'm still majorly jetlagged and my feelings about returning to Dk wont go away anytime soon I need to say goodbye a little more.

This year has just been the most amazing thing I have ever done. I could not think of any better way to spend a year away. From the moment I stepped off that plane into -7 snowy weather my whole life changed.
Being an exchange student was always something I wanted to do and I have no regrets about following my dream. I am more myself and happier with who I am than I have ever been before. When you're an exchange student you go though some many things all at once that you have no time to be anyone but yourself. You meet so many new people and experience so many new things that the easiest and quickest way to be able to comprehend it all is to be yourself and go with the flow. I walked into my first day of school and said... 'ok, they already think I'm weird because I am foreign, I look different, sound different and do things differently. So who cares if I am a little weirder?' and by being myself and true to who I am on my first day was one of the best things I could of done that year. From that moment, my eyes opened to the beautiful country I was living in, my heart opened to the beautiful people I was meeting and my mind opened to acceptance of another lifestyle and world around me.

It took me a long time to let go of Australia, even though I was in Dk and being a part of Dk. My head wasn't 100% there... and even though my year has compromised friendships and relationships I had before I left, I don't regret my year. Because if those friendships were 100% true they would still be here when I got back- and some are!
But I have also come away from Dk with friendships that will last a lifetime.

This year I have traveled, met amazing people and followed my dreams. Its been an emotional roller coaster but its been in the emotional times where I have also really found myself. I've spent a lot of the time in my head and driving myself crazy but now, now I know my limits. Now I know what I can take and what I can get through.

I have so much more I would like to say in the post but its already been said in previous posts.
So all I'm going to say now is Thank you! Thank you Denmark and everyone that has been a part of it. Thank you for changing me, thank you for loving me, thank you for helping me find a piece of myself that it takes some people their whole lives to find. Thank you.

And as for the rest of my life. I don't know. I start school in a few weeks and I'm going to find a new job. I am going to move forward with my life... no going back. Every now and then I will slip back into that girl I used to be but I will spend forever learning and bettering myself because if exchange taught me anything, it taught me that there is always something to learn, someone to meet, something to find and something to change our lives. We have to remember that time doesn't mean anything, it keeps moving even when we want it to stand still. So we have to make the most of what we have got when we have it. We have to take the chances when they come around and say yes, yes to being happy and to remember that its ok to be afraid, to be scared. To gain anything in life, we have to venture.



1 comment: